Thursday March 25th, 2010
Tartuffe

I’m going to see Tartuffe this weekend.  It’s Goshen’s spring mainstage play, directed by Doug Caskey.  I took Humanities class last semester as part of my General Education requirement.  This particular humanities course concentrated in the areas of Art and Theater, and Doug was my professor for the theater portion of that course.  Since he knew that Tartuffe would be performed in the spring, he had us read through the original play.  It was written and performed in 1664 by Molière, so we read the version that had been translated into English.  Tartuffe is a wonderful play, and has lots of interesting comedic humor built into the situations presented.  Even though the situations are funny, the text has lost some of its impact since its writing in the 17th century.  This is why the team responsible for putting on the play chose to update it and send it into modern times.

Almost every aspect of the play was updated, including the language, costumes, set, and music.  For example, the costumes include articles of clothing that weren’t present in 17th century France.  As far as the music goes, my roommate and friend, Patrick Ressler, has written string arrangements to include music that’s popular by today’s standards (Britney Spears’ Womanizer is one of the arrangements).  I’m excited to see what this play has to offer, as well as the hard work that the cast and crew put into this production.

Comment on this post

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree