Thursday November 12th, 2009
Chicago (FIELD TRIP!)

[Blogs about classes: Part 2 of 5]

As you may or may not know, Goshen is a Liberal Arts college. But what does this really mean? It means that instead of taking only classes related to your major, you will have to take math, science, literature, wellness, bible, sociology, and music classes as well. It also means that you’ll have to endure a little more headache, because you’re not quite done with math just yet, but you will be better prepared for any task you are assigned in the workplace.

As part of the General Education requirement, you have to take a Humanities class. This particular class is Humanities: Art and Theater, so we study (yep, you guessed it) art and theater. And last week for class, we went on a field trip to Chicago!

We left around 9:00 in the morning, and got to the Art Institute of Chicago around noon. We got to see the new modern wing, and, after a little homework, got to explore the art museum for as long as we wanted! The coolest part about this field trip was that we got to be independent like the college students we are. Once we were done with our assignment, we had free time until 6:00 pm! For me, that meant that when I got my assignment done, I went to check out the modern wing for a little bit. After that, I went to the Apple Store down on Michigan Avenue for a while, and then had dinner with my parents because they were in town.

When we got back at 6:00, we headed out to the Steppenwolf Theatre to see the production Fake. It was a recently written play about the Piltdown man, the supposed link between apes and humans. The play was really interesting, and it was a great production put on by a professional theatre company. We got back late after a talkback session, at around 2:00 in the morning!

Overall, I had a great time in Chicago. Let this be a lesson that general education classes don’t have to be boring, but can be a lot of fun instead!

Comment on this post

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree