Wednesday April 14th, 2010
Indecisive

The beginning of my college career has been a roller coaster. I have had a heck of a time trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. I have been carrying the pressure of feeling like what I major in will decide how I will spend the rest of my life. I came in thinking I wanted to be a Social Worker. I love helping others and it has been a passion of mine for a while now. However, I don’t feel like that path was the right one for me. Then I decided that I would like to be a teacher, and although that option is still not far from my mind, I don’t know if that is my calling. The list goes on: from nursing to business back to education to Peace and Justice and finally again at Nursing. I feel that all of the pressures around me and comments such as ” I can see you doing this” or “I can’t imagine you doing that”¬† have influenced my judgments a lot. It makes me question my options and wonder if I myself can imagine doing “that”.

I have always been a laid back kind of person but this conflict has made me crazy. I become anxious, depressed, like a failure at times for not knowing what the rest of my life will be like. However, these last couple of days, I have reflected and I have realized that I can be good at anything I choose to do. And even if I graduate with a Nursing degree and find out that that was definitely not what I wanted, it won’t be the end of the world. Goshen College or any other college, for that matter, will still be around. I don’t have to be stuck. I can go back to college and be whatever else I want to be.

When you are confronted with something, try to always be optimistic. Try to find options or opportunities that will get you out of the ditch. Life is never¬† as challenging as we percieve it to be.Especially when it comes to our own live or our own decision, we become very critical. Don’t get down. If you fall, get back up and keep walking… until you hit a rock and fall again…. just keep getting up and just try to avoid those obstacles.

Comment on this post

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree