Thursday April 2nd, 2009
Belief

What does it mean to believe in someone? I mean really, truly believe. To hope beyond hope and believe beyond doubt in someone’s capabilities, someone’s potential, in the breath of God in that person? What does it mean to say that you believe in someone, and what does it look like?

I think belief and faith go hand in hand, and for that reason, I am appalled at the recent lack of faith that my peers have had in themselves and in others. The Bible says that with the faith of a mustard seed we can move mountains, and at times, assignments seem mountainous, especially when a low grade in that course could mean the end of a college career. I believe in my friends, and I will hope against hope that they will persevere. Goshen College is about change, it’s about making a difference, and I have watched these people change and grow in ways that can’t even be imagined. They are experiencing the joy of the journey in a way that is a little unorthodox, but they are, nevertheless, experiencing it.

With that said, allow me to update everyone on what’s going on in my life. My five courses are brutal, and with the end of semester, life is more difficult. I guess I need to apply some of that aforementioned faith to my own case. I now work in the Goshen College Library- what better place for the English major? :-)

This summer, I am planning on exploring my faith and my spiritual gifts through Goshen’s Minsitry Inquiry Program. I will be completing a formal inquiry program through my home church-Friendship Mennonite, in Bedford Heights, OH. GC has a lot of different opportunities for students, so many, in fact, that I am continuously confused and pushed to challenge my decision making abilities as I learn how to say no to some things so that I can say yes to others.

I believe that there is value in learning difficult lessons, so I am doing my best not to complain as my successes and failures teach me different, but very important things, just like everyone else.

This Easter, my parents will be in Goshen with me celebrating the resurrection, I am exremely excited, as I haven’t seen them in over three months. I am also excited for this Easter because my birthday falls shortly afterward, and my friend has promised to try to change for my birthday. I believe that people can change, and that people want to change-but that they need the chance-or several chances to do so. I believe in the God of second, third, fourth, and hundreth chances. And as someone who is striving to imitate Christ, I believe that I need to extend that same grace. Praise be to the God of multiple chances, who loves us though we sin, but loves us too much to leave us there.

Comment on this post

Spam Protection by WP-SpamFree